Looking at the bright side of reality.

Looking at the bright side of reality.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tax dollars put to good use....

So the other day when I was running into Wal Mart to get something for dinner there was a lady in front of me in the check out lane. She had about 12 - 24 packs of Coke, and about 6-10 bags of chips, and when the clerk asked her how she was going to pay for it...she said food stamps. I was like FOOD STAMPS!!!!!!! REALLY?!?!?!?! Her total came to $89 (and change) and she gave the lady $90 worth of food stamps to pay for her coke and chips. I was thinking "WOW I am so glad my tax dollars are being put to good use" I was so upset...I tried not to judge her....but I was just upset that there are people that are really stuggling in this world and here in front of me I have a lady buying $90 worth of soda and chips with FOOD STAMPS!!! I wish I would have had the guts to say something to her and then followed by a slap across the face.

4 comments:

  1. I've been in line behind someone who was buying steaks with their food stamps. My husband and I both work, but I don't make enough money to buy steaks for dinner for each member of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice: Don't ever work at a grocery store Linds. :) Most of the people on food stamps don't know how to eat right, and they don't know how to save money--thus here they are. I've seen piles of TV dinners, countless sodas and chips, and everything unhealthy bought with food stamps. These people seem to think that with this extra money they can "live the high life." There we definitely some humble exceptions to the rule that were only on it for a short time, but I saw lots and lots of people that saw it as a way of life. Many of them probably grew up on food stamps too. It's a sad life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is unfortunate that people take advantage of the system like that. however, far too often we judge people without knowing all the facts of the situation. you wouldn't have thought anything of it if she had been paying with cash. perhaps she was going to a family party & this is what she offered to take...you just never really know.
    it can be a very humbling & sometimes devistating situation that leads someone to turn to welfare assistance. be careful before you judge....just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I think this happens a lot. People that really need it often don't get it but a lot of people take advantage of it. It is a needed system but there are definitely flaws!

    ReplyDelete